Over the last year, we have been highlighting different cities in Australia where you might choose to move to. In this first of our recap series, we featured city spotlights in Queensland: Brisbane, Toowoomba, Cairns, Townsville, Sunshine Coast, and Gold Coast. In this blog post, we will be recapping city spotlights where you might move to in New South Wales including Sydney, Wollongong, Maitland, Newcastle, and Tweed Heads. If you are moving to New South Wales, we hope that this guide and the related detailed posts for each city will help you make a decision or learn about your new city and the easiest way to hire a moving truck to move there.
Regions of New South Wales Photo Credit: TravelNSW.com.au
City Spotlight, Moving to Sydney NSW
Sydney’s Skyline Photo Credit: Wikipedia
“Sydney Panorama” by RaminusFalcon – Own work. Licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0 via Wikimedia Commons – https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Sydney_Panorama.jpg#/media/File:Sydney_Panorama.jpg
Map of Sydney Photo Credit: Google Maps
Sydney Moving Truck Rental Map Photo Credit: BudgetTrucks.com.au
Sydney is the capital of New South Wales. It is also the most populous city in Australia and in fact, all of Oceania. The city is situated on Sydney Harbour which weaves its way through the city skyline. For more details, see our post all about moving to Sydney. There are plenty of Budget Moving Truck rental locations for you to choose from, making it convenient to pick up or drop off a moving truck or moving van in Sydney.
Why Move to Sydney?
Sydney has so much to offer. It is the big metropolitan city, close to the beach, and also not far from nature and the outback as well. Some of the big bonuses when moving to Sydney are:
- Plenty of public transportation is always available. It is an easy city to get around.
- A variety of options when it comes to places to live in the city. Rental and purchasing options are everywhere.
- Sydney is very big in diversity. There is a multicultural presence in the city, its people, businesses, and eateries.
- Sydney has a stable economy.
- There is always something to do in Sydney, and a wide variety of options at that. Whatever you like to do, you can bet that you can do it in Sydney and surrounds.
- Sydney is a great city to raise a family in. It has great schools and is made up of many different village communities that are ideal for families.
City Spotlight, Moving to Wollongong, NSW
Wollongong Coast Photo Credit: Buzzfeed
Wollongong Harbour Photo Credit: Buzzfeed
Wollongong Map Photo credit: Google Maps
Wollongong Truck Rental Map Photo Credit: BudgetTrucks.com.au
If you are planning to move to Wollongong, NSW, then you can learn a lot about the city here in our New South Wales recap. Wollongong is quite an interesting city to learn about and a very appealing place to live. It is close enough to Sydney (82 km south of the capital) to visit the major metropolitan hub, but also far enough away from all the hustling and bustling to be laid back and relaxed in atmosphere. Wollongong is in the Illawarra region of New South Wales right on the Pacific Coast. It is the 3rd largest city in New South Wales and the 10th largest city in Australia. It lies in a narrow coastal strip between the Pacific Ocean and the Illawarra Escarpment. This makes for quite a beautiful and dramatic city skyline nestled between the deep blue ocean and lush green mountains. If you are moving to or within Wollongong, you can hire a moving truck at the Wollongong Budget Trucks location.
City Spotlight, Moving to Newcastle and Maitland, NSW
Newcastle Skyline Photo Credit: Wikipedia
Maitland Town Hall Photo Credit: Wikipedia
Maitland Countryside Photo Credit: VisitNSW.com
Hunter Valley Photo Credit: HunterValley.com
Newcastle and Maitland Map Photo Credit: Google Maps
Newcastle Truck Rental Map Photo Credit: BudgetTrucks.com.au
If you are moving to either Newcastle or Maitland, this means you will be in the Hunter Valley region of New South Wales. The Hunter Valley is just west of Maitland and is Australia’s oldest wine region. Although the cities of Newcastle and Maitland in New South Wales may not be as well-known or the most popular tourist destinations; however these two cities make up the 7th most populated region in Australia. The two cities have a combined population of over 400,000. Greater Newcastle includes Newcastle, Macquarie, Cessnock, Maitland, and Port Stephens and is the 2nd largest city in New South Wales behind Sydney. Read on to learn more about Greater Newcastle and why you would want to move to this coastal NSW area. When you are moving to or within the Maitland and Newcastle region, you can hire a truck or moving van at Budget Trucks in Newcastle.
City Spotlight, Moving to Tweed Heads, NSW
Tweed Heads on the Right, Coolangatta on the Left. Photo Credit: Wikipedia
Tweed Heads Map Photo Credit: Google Maps
Tweed Heads Moving Truck Rental Map Photo Credit: BudgetTrucks.com.au
If you have decided to move to Tweed Heads in New South Wales, you are in for an adventure in a growing metropolitan city that is close to it all. Living in Tweed Heads, you get the best of both worlds, or at least two states. Since Tweed Heads is right on the northern border of New South Wales, it is just a quick drive over to Coolangatta in Queensland. Tweed Heads is right on the coast but is also a metropolitan hub with a busy city centre and laid back beaches. You can also read up about moving to Coolangatta, a suburb of Gold Coast. Remember that each city is in a different time zone because daylight savings is not observed in Queensland. This can sometimes give you more options, but should be kept in mind right off the bat so that it doesn’t get confusing. When you are ready to move to or in Tweed Heads, NSW be sure to hire your moving van from Budget Trucks Tweed Heads.
Moving Tips for Australia
These are some general moving tips and advice if you are moving to Queensland, or anywhere in Australia. The important thing is to plan ahead, get organised, and don’t wait for the last minute.
- Make sure your passport is valid and up-to-date. Obtain a visa if you are going to need one.
- Get an international free email address so that you will be able to keep in touch. Checkout Gmail, Yahoo, or Hotmail.
- Connect with a relocation agent to help you find a job and a place to live.
- Start going through your clothing and other belongings to see what you can sell or giveaway before it’s time to pack.
- If you are moving from another country, check the compatibility of your appliances. Australia uses voltage 220-240 volts.
- Start to inventory the items you are taking and see if you have receipts for those items.
- Start getting quotes for renting a moving truck or hiring a moving company and decide which one is best for you.
- Ask about the cost marine insurance. This is based on the value of the things you are taking.
- Take pictures of everything you are moving, especially the more expensive items to keep a record for insurance purposes.
- Make a checklist and a calendar and stick to them.
More City Spotlights across Australia
Stay tuned for more summaries of city spotlights to help you choose which city in Australia is the best one for you to live in or move to. Here is a list of our other city spotlights for moving to other cities in Australia:
City Spotlight, Moving to Melbourne, VIC
City Spotlight, Moving to Geelong, VIC
City Spotlight, Moving to Perth, WA
City Spotlight, Moving to Adelaide, SA
City Spotlight, Moving to Darwin, NT
City Spotlight, Moving to Darwin, NT
City Spotlight, Moving to Hobart, TAS
AUSTRALIAN CAPITAL TERRITORY (ACT)
City Spotlight, Moving to Canberra, ACT
Latest posts by Shari McConahay (see all)
- May Truck Rental Deals and Special Offers (Part Two) - May 16, 2017
- May Truck Rental Deals and Special Offers (Part One) - May 2, 2017
- April Truck Rental Deals and Special Offers (Part Two) - April 11, 2017