Moving is always going to involve some expenses. However, since you almost always know way in advance that you are moving; you can save some money by planning ahead of time and using the extra time to shop around for deals on moving supplies and getting plenty of quotes from movers or renting a moving truck.
Be Prepared for Extra Expenses
Even if you hire a moving company, there will still be expenses that you should be prepared to pay for regardless. When you can plan ahead for those expenses, such as packing tape, boxes, bags, labels, markers, padding, bubble wrap, and other miscellaneous moving supplies then you can shop around for the best prices. If you wait until the last minute or forget you may need to buy them quickly at any available store. That can cost a great deal more than if you are able to shop around. You might also need additional moving equipment. Even if you hire a moving company, they may not supply all of the moving equipment such as dollies, moving straps, etc.
Questions to Ask When Renting a Moving Truck
When you start shopping around ahead of time, it gives you the chance to thoroughly investigate which moving company or moving truck rental service is your best offer. At Budget Trucks, we offer special truck rental deals monthly and we often include some of the fees and extras other companies charge you for. Here are some of the fees and details to ask about before hiring a moving truck:
- Are one way rentals available? If you are moving out of town or to a different state or city, returning the moving truck back to the same location may not be convenient or even possible. Make sure to ask for one way rentals and find out where you would be returning the moving truck.
- Inquire about the right size truck for your move. You may not need a full size moving truck. There are many different size trucks, vans, and Utes available. Of course, different size trucks have different rental rates. There are usually groupings of trucks that have the same rate, so ask what your choices are. When you plan ahead and know the size of everything you are moving, you won’t have to worry about getting a truck and is too large or too small.
- Remember that some larger trucks might require a special license.
- Does the rate include gas and distance? Some rentals come with 100 km or 200 km free per day and beyond that distance there are additional fees. Ask what the additional fees are and plot out your route so that you can know what types of fees to expect.
- There could be other administrative fees, vehicle registration fees, or GST. At Budget, these are included with our specials, but it is a good idea to ask about these and any other fees so that there are no surprises and so that you can accurately compare quotes.
Now you know what to consider when comparing rates for different moving truck rental companies to ensure that you are comparing apples to apples. Often times, one company might look less expensive because they fail to list any extra fees or expenses that you will be responsible for.
Moving insurance is another important thing to consider. You will likely need your own insurance even if you hire a moving company. You should ask what is covered when you hire a moving truck yourself because your car insurance might not cover loss or all damages in the event of a problem.
Don’t Wait ‘Til the Last Minute
When you are moving, preparation is the name of the game. Not only will it help reduce the stress levels because you will be more organised, but it will help you save money. Having the time to shop around is not a luxury of last minute movers. In addition, being in a rush to grab last minute supplies doesn’t allow for you to shop around for the best and least expensive supplies. When you have time to look you might even find free boxes from local businesses that regularly throw away boxes, crates, and wooden containers that will be perfect for your move.
Latest posts by Shari McConahay (see all)
- August Truck Rental Deals and Special Offers (Part Two) - August 10, 2017
- August Truck Rental Deals and Special Offers (Part One) - August 5, 2017
- Hiding Eyesores Outside Your Home - July 29, 2017