Anytime you move to a new home, it is a big undertaking. There are plenty of expenses and no shortage of work, so any amount of money that you can save is a big help. We have some money saving tips for your next move to share with you. Hopefully at least some of these 5 tips will help you when it comes time for your next move.
- Plan Ahead: There are so many ways that you can save money by planning ahead and not leaving things for the last minute. Careful planning can help you in a lot of different ways. Waiting until the last minute will almost always cost you more for supplies, your moving truck rental, and because you are rushing around. Begin planning as far in advance as possible. If you have 6 months to plan your move, that is ideal. Separate your planning into phases. Organisation takes time, so with this type of planning you will be able to save money on moving supplies, print labels, color code what is in each room, take time to clean and de-clutter. Plus, there is less chance of you forgetting things that might crop up at the last minute like helping your children or pets acclimate to the change, make plans for them on moving day, and have toys and activities to keep them occupied. Advanced planning also ensures that you will know how many boxes and moving supplies you will need and what size moving truck. Too often, movers overestimate how big of a truck they need and there is no need to pay extra for a truck that is larger than you need.
- Hire Your Own Moving Truck: Hiring your own moving truck can help save you money, especially when you combine it with advanced planning. The earlier you rent, then best prices you can get. You can also take advantage of specials and offers when you have some leeway to plan to move during the week, or at times that are less expensive. Consider what size moving truck you need. Too often, we see clients that over estimate the size they will need. When you plan in advance and pack in advance, you will know just what you need and a smaller moving truck will save you tons (literally). Maybe you can use just a moving van or even a ute? Ask one of our rental experts to explain all of the options that are available to you.
- Look for Free Moving Supplies: When you have time to plan your move, you also have time to shop around for less expensive moving supplies or even call around to local businesses to see if they are throwing out perfectly good boxes that you can have for free to help you move. Even if you do not find free supplies, shopping around can help you find them cheaper than if you are running out at the last minute and have to settle for what you find. Doing that also means you are at risk for not finding what you need at all and you could be forced to settle for moving supplies that don’t fulfill your needs. If you do need to purchase supplies, remember that we have moving accessories available at Budget Trucks Australia.
- Get Rid of Clutter: When you are moving, you likely are already planning to clean your home before the move. Perhaps you are staging it to sell, or moving out of a rental that must be cleaned to get your deposit back. However, it is very important to also consider purging what you do not want and de-cluttering your home. This step definitely helps when staging your home to sell, but also helps you be able to be more organised with your packing and the less you have to move, the easier and less expensive your move is. Come up with some rules for purging. If you haven’t used something in X number of months or years, then do not keep it. If you aren’t going to use something in your new home, then do not keep it. In addition to saving on your move, you might make some extra cash if you can sell your old stuff at a garage sale, or get a tax break from making a donation.
- Choose the Least Expensive Time to Move: The time of the year, the time of the month, even week or day can make a difference in your costs. Especially when it comes to hiring a moving truck. Consult with our moving experts ahead of time and you will see that our friendly and knowledgeable staff will make your move as inexpensive, painless, and smooth as possible.
We hope these 5 money saving tips help you the next time you plan on moving to a new home. Remember that the key is planning ahead and being organised about your move. You can also save money by hiring your own moving truck, looking for free moving supplies, getting rid of extra clutter, and choosing a less expensive time to move. Keep a list to help you stay organised and remember to remain positive because ultimately, you will have a beautiful new home and a lot of new memories to make in it.
Latest posts by Shari McConahay (see all)
- July Truck Rental Deals and Special Offers (Part Three) - July 21, 2017
- July Truck Rental Deals and Special Offers (Part Two) - July 12, 2017
- July Truck Rental Deals and Special Offers (Part One) - July 5, 2017