Last week we gave you a cleaning checklist to do before you move into your new home. This week, we have a list of 5 things to do before you move into your new home. With all the things to keep you busy, it is a good idea to keep lists for everything so that nothing gets left out.
- Change the locks on all the doors. The exterior doors’ locks should be changed just for peace of mind. Many different people could have the keys to the existing locks so change them just in case. Ensuring the security of your home is one of the most important things and should have a priority over everything else.
- Fresh Coat of Paint. Once all of the cleaning is done, then give the walls a fresh coat of paint on the walls. Even if you aren’t changing the colour, paint the walls and ceilings. This is the best way to refresh everything and start fresh in your new home. It is also much easier to paint before you bring everything into the house and then you would have to cover it up before painting and / or paint around it.
- Upgrade and install new switch plates.This will ensure that your electrical outlets are all up to date and that they all match. Many times older homes might have mis-matched plates and it looks sloppy. The plates also can be dirty or dusty and refreshing them will prevent dirt or dust from getting into the electrical wires. This way, all of your plates can also match with your style and colour scheme. If you want to get creative with your switch plates, don’t be afraid to design them and add some flair to your switches. Here are a few neat ideas from Pinterest:
- Organize the closets.Now is your chance to implement a way for your closets to always stay neat and organized. It is much easier to set the closet up with shelves and drawers before you move everything into the closet. This way, you can start fresh and organised.
- Service and protect all appliances and mechanical equipment. Now is the time to ensure that your appliances and mechanical equipment will last you as long as possible. There are companies that you can purchase a service contract from and they will come out and do regular maintenance or fix problems. This is the best way to extend the life of your appliances and maximize your investment.
Latest posts by Shari McConahay (see all)
- August Truck Rental Deals and Special Offers (Part Two) - August 10, 2017
- August Truck Rental Deals and Special Offers (Part One) - August 5, 2017
- Hiding Eyesores Outside Your Home - July 29, 2017